The We 2 R Poets workshop will be customized to complement the specific curricular needs of participating schools, with a focus on school-established benchmarks, and focused areas of study. The allotted time for each workshop will depend upon the number of classrooms visited, and available classroom time.
A loose description of the proposed workshop activities is as follows—run time roughly 1 hour
- Greet the students, introduce the W2RPoets team, broad description of writing and publishing (5-7 minutes)
- Ask about students’ familiarity with poetry, examples of poems or poets [Dr. Seuss, Shel Silverstein, The Night Before Christmas, etc] (2-3 minutes)
- Ask if students know what makes a poem—talk about elements of poetic craft like line, stanza, rhyme (5-10 minutes)
- Talk about different kinds of poems and topics—happy poems, sad poems, silly poems, nature poems, etc., with one or two short examples of each (5 minutes)
- Lead students through a limerick with audience participation (5 minutes)
- Talk about poetry as a way to practice good reading and writing (2 minutes)
- Pass out handout with prompt list and blank lines for practice (3 minutes)
- Allow students time to practice writing a couplet, quatrain, or limerick (10 minutes)
- Invite students to share their poetry [perhaps talk about reciting poetry as public speaking practice] (5-10 minutes)
- Pass out handout with prompt list and blank lines for submission to Regal anthology, thank students for participating (3-5 minutes)
The Regal House Initiative, together with Fitzroy Books, will invite the children participating in the We 2 R Poets workshop to submit a poem for inclusion in the We 2 R Poets publication. The Regal House Publishing editorial team will oversee the production of this poetry publication in print format, donating a copy to the school library of each participating Wake County schools.